Too many heads are still in the sand
Byker
2022-10-17 17:00:00 UTC
It’s obvious that all too few Americans want to face this reality: that
we’re truly in a new world in the worst sense imaginable when it comes
to climate change.
https://www.alternet.org/2022/10/win-win-to-lose-lose/
We'll adapt as a species, as evidenced by Inuits and Hottentots...
Scout
2022-10-17 18:50:54 UTC
It’s obvious that all too few Americans want to face this reality: that
we’re truly in a new world in the worst sense imaginable when it comes
to climate change.
https://www.alternet.org/2022/10/win-win-to-lose-lose/
The worst change that could occur is the end of the current warming trend
and a collapse into the next ice age..

95% of humanity would likely die from that.

I mean if you're frantic over a possible 1C increase.. you will crap
yourself when it looks like a 20C drop.
TRAITOR JOE'S BIDEN BALONEY
2022-10-18 18:19:00 UTC
Caution! Always wear ANSI approved goggles when reading posts by Checkmate!

On Mon, 17 Oct 2022 14:50:54 -0400, Scout put forth the notion that:
#
Post by Scout
It?s obvious that all too few Americans want to face this reality: that
we?re truly in a new world in the worst sense imaginable when it comes
to climate change.
https://www.alternet.org/2022/10/win-win-to-lose-lose/
The worst change that could occur is the end of the current warming trend
and a collapse into the next ice age..
95% of humanity would likely die from that.
I mean if you're frantic over a possible 1C increase.. you will crap
yourself when it looks like a 20C drop.
I'm not looking forward to the next Ice Age. The last five were a real
bitch. One degree of warming is no sweat off my ass.
--
Checkmate ®
Copyright © 2022

Footloose!

Kensi, "doing a little victory dance"

kensi." -Nadegda

Author, Humorist, Cynic
Philosopher, Humanitarian
Poet, Elektrishun to the Stars
Usenet Shot-Caller

In loving memory of The Battle Kitten
May 2010-February 12, 2017
%
it will warm up and the blob will return
g***@gmail.com
2022-10-19 00:26:46 UTC
Post by Scout
It’s obvious that all too few Americans want to face this reality: that
we’re truly in a new world in the worst sense imaginable when it comes
to climate change.
https://www.alternet.org/2022/10/win-win-to-lose-lose/
The worst change that could occur is the end of the current warming trend
and a collapse into the next ice age..
95% of humanity would likely die from that.
I mean if you're frantic over a possible 1C increase.. you will crap
yourself when it looks like a 20C drop.
A 20C drop would return us to ice planet status. Even the tropics
would freeze in winter.

If you don't understand science, don't make scientific comments.

Swill
--
What am I? I'm a progressive in my compassion for the vulnerable.
I'm a libertarian in my passion for freedom and I'm a consevative
- Michael Schellenberger, independent candidate for Governor in California
%
the planet is getting warmer and i've seen proof
g***@gmail.com
2022-10-19 16:08:04 UTC
Post by Scout
It’s obvious that all too few Americans want to face this reality: that
we’re truly in a new world in the worst sense imaginable when it comes
to climate change.
https://www.alternet.org/2022/10/win-win-to-lose-lose/
The worst change that could occur is the end of the current warming trend
and a collapse into the next ice age..
95% of humanity would likely die from that.
I mean if you're frantic over a possible 1C increase.. you will crap
yourself when it looks like a 20C drop.
A 20C drop would return us to ice planet status. Even the tropics
would freeze in winter.
If you don't understand science, don't make scientific comments.
Swill
the planet is getting warmer and i've seen proof
So has anybody who's regularly gone to the Arctic in summer.

Swill
R Kym Horsell
2022-10-19 01:01:59 UTC
Post by g***@gmail.com
Post by Scout
I mean if you're frantic over a possible 1C increase.. you will crap
yourself when it looks like a 20C drop.
A 20C drop would return us to ice planet status. Even the tropics
would freeze in winter.
If you don't understand science, don't make scientific comments.

Yes, 20C came out of someone's ass.
The so-called "ice age unit" is 5C. A change of 5C takes the
20th cent climate back into the last glaciation with 1 mi of ice over
Chicago but still tropical weather in the Carrib and elsewhere.

A change in 20C is an horrific amount that would happen if Earth
became a desert world like Mars with no ocean and no atmosphere,
or an iceball world that reflected most of the sun's warmth back into
space (in which case chicken and egg problem -- how did it get to
be an iceball?).

Many gases with more than 2 atoms in their molecules are GHG
because the change in geometry possible with 3+ atoms allows
the molecule to absorb energy at infra-red frequencies -- the
stuff that is coming up from the earth (the stuff coming from the
sun is mostly in the green region of visible light).

The levels of CO2, CH4, ozone, wavter vapor, etc is "well know"
to be resposible for keeping the Earth ~30C warmer than it would be
without greenhouse gases in our atmosphere. If it were not for CO2
and friends the avg temp of the earth would be closer to -15C than
the 15C it was in the 20th cent and it would be an iceball.
--
Dunning-Kruger Effect: Ignorance and Overconfidence Affect
Intuitive Thinking, New Study Says