Question about Polyester, Polymer and PET
Ricardo Felli
2003-10-03 10:34:26 UTC
I hope someone knowledgeable could enlighten me about the following -
I'm doing a report on plastics and need help figuring out some of the
details. Thanks in advance!

What is the difference between polyester and polymer - is polyester a
type of polymer or is it made from polymer or something else?

Is PET a type of polyester? Or is polyester a different product made
from the same source? (I've noticed polyester is used - or referred to
- in products such as apparel, whereas PET ıs in particle form
and used in making bottles).

What are TPA and DMT? Are they exclusively used for making PET - or
are they used in producing other polyester products, as well? (Is DMT
or TPA used in making a polyester fleece, for example?)

Thanks!
Frank Logullo
2003-10-03 11:20:36 UTC
Post by Ricardo Felli
I hope someone knowledgeable could enlighten me about the following -
I'm doing a report on plastics and need help figuring out some of the
details. Thanks in advance!
What is the difference between polyester and polymer - is polyester a
type of polymer or is it made from polymer or something else?
Yes, polyester is a type of polymer.
Post by Ricardo Felli
Is PET a type of polyester? Or is polyester a different product made
from the same source? (I've noticed polyester is used - or referred to
- in products such as apparel, whereas PET ıs in particle form
and used in making bottles).
PET is polyethylene terephthalate. Same polymer can be used to make bottles
and fibers.
Post by Ricardo Felli
What are TPA and DMT? Are they exclusively used for making PET - or
are they used in producing other polyester products, as well? (Is DMT
or TPA used in making a polyester fleece, for example?)
DMT is dimethyl terephthalate and TPA is terephthalic acid. They are
monomers and either can be used with ethylene glycol to make PET.
bob
2003-10-03 15:20:50 UTC
Post by Ricardo Felli
I hope someone knowledgeable could enlighten me about the following -
I'm doing a report on plastics and need help figuring out some of the
details. Thanks in advance!
You can use google to find out a lot about these topics. Your
questions are probably a bit simple for most people here to spend much
time answering. As I'm waiting for folks to get ready for lunch ....
Post by Ricardo Felli
What is the difference between polyester and polymer - is polyester a
type of polymer or is it made from polymer or something else?
http://www.plasticsresource.com/s_plasticsresource/sec.asp?TRACKID=&CID=124&DID=226

http://www.polymerplastics.com/mechanical_delrinaf.shtml
Post by Ricardo Felli
Is PET a type of polyester?
http://www.designinsite.dk/htmsider/m0011.htm
Post by Ricardo Felli
Or is polyester a different product made
from the same source? (I've noticed polyester is used - or referred to
- in products such as apparel, whereas PET ıs in particle form
and used in making bottles).
What are TPA and DMT?
thermal polyaspartate and dimethyl terephthalate

Use google with search terms: polymer TPA
then with" polymer DMT

You'll find lots of stuff.
Juan Herberto
2003-10-04 06:29:34 UTC
There's also an elderly DMT compound- Dimethyl Tryptamine- which, when
ingested, will make Everything clear... ^..^

Got Problems?
Get RIDOVEM
Ricardo
2023-06-09 23:32:16 UTC
Gostaria de saber qual dos "Ricardo Felli" no Planeta Terra fez tal pergunta. Cidade, Estado,PaĆ­s...
--
For full context, visit https://www.polytechforum.com/polymers/question-about-polyester-polymer-and-pet-323-.htm